Features Editor /
Sometimes, your daily skincare routine isn’t quite enough to keep your skin in tip-top condition, especially if you don’t stay loyal to it. When this happens, the best way to get your skin back up to scratch is to detox your skin. Following our steps below will have your skin glowing in no time!
Cut down, or better still give up alcohol for at least a week if not a month. This is an essential part of your skin detox so don’t wriggle out of it! Remember, it’s not forever, just for the period of your detox. Increase your water intake to flush out toxins and improve kidney function. Keep a bottle of mineral water close by to regularly top up. Keeping hydrated makes a huge difference to your skin since cells rely on water to remain plump and healthy-looking.
Check your diet and make sure you are getting the recommended 5 pieces of fruit or veg a day. If that sounds like a challenge create the ultimate skin detox smoothie by throwing some of your favourite fruits such as banana, pear, strawberries and blueberries into a blender with some yoghurt and honey. Try to cut down on salt and saturated fat (like that found in red meat and dairy produce) where you can. Replace with fish, lean meat like chicken and vegetable oil spreads.
Try to get some early nights – sleep does your whole body the power of good and is essential for any skin detox since many experts believe that skin’s recuperative powers at their peak during the night. If you’re a couch potato introduce some exercise into your life. (Put the TV in another room for a week – it works!). Exercise improves the circulation to help bring oxygen and nutrients to the skin cells. It also reduces stress – one of the major causes of wrinkles.
If you smoke, STOP! Everyone knows that smoking harms the body but it also starves the skin of oxygen and causes premature wrinkles.
1. On clean shaven, damp skin apply a little facial wash to suit your skin type. Massage it over the skin firmly using penetrating circular motions. This will increase the circulation and bring oxygen, blood and nutrients to the skin cells. 2. Rinse it off thoroughly with running water.
2. Rinse it off thoroughly with running water.
3. Apply some facial scrub mixed with a little water, and massage over the entire face but don’t rub too hard. Rinse off with warm running water. At this point you can steam the skin over a basin of hot water to open the pores. This is a great way to power up your skin detox process. Then, with either a tissue or a blackhead extractor, gently remove any blackheads or blocked pores. Don’t be too rough with your skin or you will mark it. Only remove blockages that come out easily.
4. At this point you can steam the skin over a basin of hot water to open the pores. This is a great way to power up your skin detox process. Then, with either a tissue or a blackhead extractor, gently remove any blackheads or blocked pores. Don’t be too rough with your skin or you will mark it. Only remove blockages that come out easily.
5. Blot the skin dry and apply a face mask over the face and neck avoiding the eyes and lips. Put some toner onto damp cotton wool and place over the eye lids to reduce puffiness and drain toxins from under the eyes. Leave for 10 minutes and rinse the face mask off with running water.
6. Blot the skin dry again and apply a little moisturiser. Massage this well into the skin using firm movements to increase the circulation.
7. Use an eye cream or gel around the eye area to protect the skin here.
8. Sit back and congratulate yourself the hardest part of your skin detox programme is over!
Like all good detox regimes, your skin detox requires daily maintenance if you’re to continue to feel and see the benefits. Here’s how to keep up the good work:
1. Morning and night use a good quality facial wash to clean the skin and remove impurities.
2. Use a protective moisturiser after shaving to keep the skin supple and fit.
3. Shave with a cream or gel that moisturises the skin and doesn’t dry it out.
4. Use an eye cream or gel to protect the skin around the eyes.
To maintain the results of your skin detox for as long as possible, make sure to create the perfect skincare routine to stick to afterwards!
Now you know which skin type you are from our Mankind Know Your Skin Guide, you're going to want to invest in the right products to cater for your complexion.
• By Shannon
Throughout my life I've been passionate about film, music and culture from around the globe. I’m here to bring you the latest lifestyle features, from film releases and music, to cocktails and recipe inspiration, keeping you in the loop of all the latest trends worth talking about.
Read what our staff tester thought of the ESPA Men's range after using it for a month.
2019-05-01 16:39:28 •
SPF moisturisers might be the easiest way to make a huge impact on your skin. Swapping them out for your regular moisturiser will ensure you're protected from sun damage and skin ageing. Find out more about our favourite SPF moisturisers.
2019-04-23 09:00:08 •
In this blog article we look to answer the question: what are the best eye creams for men? A fantastic addition to any man's grooming routine, eye creams and serums firm the skin around the eyes, leading to a refreshed and rejuvenated appearance.
2019-04-17 09:00:09 •
Discover the grooming essentials that we loved the most at Mankind headquarters over the last month in our Best In Grooming rundown.
2019-04-16 16:23:18 •